Thursday, January 05, 2006

Contract Fever

Ok, so today I discovered that I really am a huge legal nerd. I was watching Fever Pitch (dont ask) and when the ending of the movie came the first thing I thought was "that isn't a valid contract."

Let me set the scene:

The main character inherited Red Sox season tickets from his uncle. He has previously gone to every game for twenty years. His girlfriend leaves him because he is obsessed with baseball so he decides to sell his tickets for $125 thousand. While sitting in the seats with the person that is going to buy the seats (who is holding a contract we are supposed to believe will become binding when signed) everybody that sits around him (and presumably has sat around him for a very very long time) is trying to talk him out of selling. Several reasons not to sell are given, one of which is "it is illegal, you are supposed to give the tickets back to the team if you do not want them." Some explination about him still getting the tickets, then giving them to the buyer is given. In the final scene of the movie, Drew Barrymore goes running across the field to stop him from selling the tickets because she knows he cares about them so much.

My law-nerd problem with the story line is this: If the official sale of the tickets was "illegal" then the contract would immediately become "voidable" as I understand it. Unless I am missing something, even a signed contract would be no more than a handshake agreement between them that could be broken at any time.

Am I totally off base here?

Regardless, discovering this totally ruined my night, not because it ruined the movie but because it confirmed that I truely think like a huge dork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home