Monday, January 02, 2006

Logic

The more blogs I read the more I become convinced that while there are plenty of boring, uptight, arrogant, and dry people that attend law school, there are also plenty of people like me, loud, laid back, not lazy but not into killing myself people that also attend law school. I have decided that the problem isn't that everybody is dry and uptight, rather the problem is the people that jepordize the majority of the floor and face time in law schools are the people that fit this stereotype.

What does this mean? Not much other than all hope is not necessarily lost.

There was an interesting post on barelylegalblog.blogspot.com several months ago where one of the two bloggers that runs that site claimed the key to having fun in law school was to attend your saftey school. While I do not necessarily agree with this theory, and I definately do not plan on putting it into practice, the attitude (that law school is not the be all end all of your existence) is certainly an accurate one.

So what does any of this have to do with the title of this post, "logic." Nothing. My comment on logic stems from a conversation I had recently that went something like this.

Scene: A logal store

Me: I need some cough medicine

Employee: Do you want to take it before bed or not.

Me: I'll just take one that wil not put me to sleep, then I will take it before bed and fall asleep on my own.

Employee: No, you see these either stimulate you or put you to sleep.

Me: What? Where does it say that.

Employee: Right here, it says "non-(insert word that means sleep inducing)."

Me: That doesn't mean that it keeps you awake, that just means that it doesn't put you to sleep.

Employee: Its the same thing, it either puts you to sleep or keeps you awake.

Me: I cant beleive I'm having this argument.... what would water be under your logic?

Employee: Water isn't medicine.

Me: Yes, but it doesn't put you to sleep or keep you awake, so just because it doesn't put you to sleep, doesn't mean it keeps you awake.

Employee: I'm confuse.

Ok, so mabye me example was a little off base, but the idea here is simple. Just because something doesn't put to you sleep doesn't mean it has to keep you awake, it can have no relationship to how well you sleep. This person is clearly an idiot. I find myself noticing logic flaws like this all the time and when I point them out, people always have the same reaction: Stop talking like a lawyer. I'm not talking like a lawyer, I'm talking like somebody capable of translating his thoughts into english correctly.

So mabye I'm a little closer to uptight law school prick than I am willing to admit, but at least I can express my thoughts in proper english.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home