Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Computer Crime

So when word got out today about a computer worm disabling computers around the country (including CNN) I decided to look around at the laws regarding computer crime. What I discovered is that the law regarding computer crime is largely inadequate. I am by no means claiming to be an expert, or even that I found all of the relevant information, but the conclusion that I came to was that the law surrounding computer crime is VERY VERY vague, more importantly it does a poor job of assigning punishment to crimes. In some cases it is even unclear if things (such as using an open wireless connection owned by somebody else) is a crime.

Please please please, powers that be, take some time, hire some smart people that understand computers and create a computer law that works. With the wide use of the internet and other information systems, wouldn't it make sence that the law start to be formed and refined? Just because not everybdoy understands the tech doeesn't mean it should go without regulation, in fact, it is all the more reason why we need MORE regulation to help people.

Why is it that if i steal your credit card account information to learn about you I am a felon, but if I plant some software on your computer to track what you do and reduce its performance I ahve done nothing wrong? this is crazy. We need regulation and we need stiff punishments. There is no reason for technology to put people's information and saftey, not to mention privacy at risk every itime you sign online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home