Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A book that doesn't help

So I'm leaving town for five days again tomorrow super early morning, so I thought I would double post to make up for a few days of nothingness.

I have been working on my PS as most of you know, and for the most part I have been working through it on my own. About 6 weeks ago I decided I needed all the help I could get, broke down, and bought the Brodie law school book. I was not impressed.

It isn't the fault of the writer, its the topic. There simply is no good way to write a book that helps people put together the single aspect of their application that varies most from person to person. Though the author tries to help by creating items that should be included in different types of statements, the book is on the whole not helpful. Outside of a few random "lists" of things to cover (which sparked my interest but didn't help me put together my essay) there wasn't much usable help in the book. Anna Ivey's book is much better.

On a related note, why do writers of personal statement books insist on using silly essays as examples. Look, I'm buying a book because I don't know what to write about. I'm guessing most people are similar to me. Give us an essay about a normal person without any exceptional experiences, not a bunch of essays about people that accomplished things that already make them fantastic candidates. WRITE TO YOUR AUDIENCE, PEOPLE THAT LACK A SOLID PERSONAL STATEMENT TOPIC!!!