Friday, June 24, 2005

bowling, law schools, life, and other randomness

So I went bowling tonight because I was bored and it is cheap. Before I continue you must know two things about me. First, I am a horrible bowler. Second, last week, by some fluke of god, I bowled a 247. So I went out tonight and started off like the scrub I am, and showhow in the middle I bowled a 200! Odd. I am definately buying two lotto tickets tomorrow. That was about the extend of my day. Work, run, look at people on facebook that a buddy of mind told me to see if I knew (for rush), then bowl, then sleep. Nothing too exciting.

I have been thinking a lot about law schools and I have come up with two questions. First, who in their right mind would go to Cooley to become a lawyer. Ok, so people who can ONLY go to class on the weekends might find it usefull, but other than that? Where does this percentege (however small) of full time students come from. Please tell me that people are not really fooled by their made up rankings and their BS about their reputation and can see that the school simply takes the bottom of the barrell, puts them into a bowl, mixes them around, then lets half of them out with the degrees and kicks half of them out 30K (or more) poorer. The same with Roger Williams. It really seems like they are taking advantage of peoples hopes of going to law school to create a better life for themselves. ABA WHY ARE THEY ACCREDITED!!! As a side note, go to google, type in Cooley Law school and fraud... several things come up.
My second law school thought is more universal. Why is it that people in Tier 3 or Tier 4 law schools are convinced they have equal job opportunites as others? Ok, I understand that it doesn't doom you, but it certainly closes some doors. I do not mind people saying "i can work my way up" but I had somebody tell me point blank online today that there is no difference in job opportunities out of college for law schools grads from northwestern compared to Loyola.

First, Northwestern grads can get hired outside of Chicago. Second, big firms will take 50% or more of Northwestern's class. They will NOT go this deep into Loyola's class. If there is really no difference why the big salary disparity, even amount people only in private practice. It is just silly. Stop trying to brainwash yourselves, understand where you are and how hard you need to work. I do not know where I am goign to school, but I can promise that if I end up at say... Kent, I will not run around telling people I'm just like a Northwestern grad or that my job prospects are just as bright (unless of course I am editor of Law review). End rant for now.
I am not sure what I am doing for the rest of the week, other than I really need to take a business law test online. Hopefully I will get that done tomorrow. I REALLY REALLY need a haircut, so that is gettign done tomorrow also. Mabye now I won't look like a shaggy dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home