Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Gatekeepers

As promised I finished The Gatekeepers tonight and thus I have a critique. Overall it was very good and interesting. I think the idea of following one officer and especially focusing on a few central ideas (his mothers influence, his feelings towards the kids he knew, and his friendship with a high school guidance counselor) made for an interesting take on a non fiction book. I particularship like the way the author writes about the cliques that form within selective colleges and feeder schools.

The only complaint I have about this book is that it makes it seem like only a specific type of student, those with good scores, and a prep school background as well as a great personal story, get into the top schools. The book never talks about the kids that get in based on awsome grades and good test scores. I think it is a good read for anybody interested in higher education, but I wish it would have dealt with more areas instead of focusing on a very affirmative action\special cases study of the admission process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home