Friday, July 01, 2005

John Rawls, My day, tragedy

Well my day was pretty uneventfull. I worked till two, golfed till six (51), ate dinner, then bowled till 11:30 (high game 168, weak). On the plus side, I think we set up what could become a really good softball game for the weekend, so that is a MAJOR plus. Work was uneventful so I do not have any good stories or complaints for you.

For those of you who care, an Alumni of the Bradley Greek Orginization passed away late last night. A Sigma Kappa that graduated last year parished in a house fire. The police suspect foul play. I hope to God they are wrong. Who could possibly burn down a house killing a father and his 23 year old daughter?

I think the biggest problem with the legal system today is that we have forgottten what should be the basis of all our laws: The veil of ignorance that John Rawls describes in his writing. For the few of you that do not know, this refers to the idea that people should imagine a system of government and laws that they would choose if they did not know their role in life. This about how different things would be. Taxes on the rich would be much higher, education would be more balanced, and disclaimers on products would be much less powerful. Nothing fustrates me more than the handcuffs society has put on the police. I have a friend that constantly treats the police as the enemy. He is fond of saying things like: "if you cant see them they shouldn't be allowed to ticket you." I do not like this logic, it is the same as saying you can only get punished if you should have known you would get caught. It kills me that so many people (especially in under-privlidged areas) like to talk about how the cops are unfair because they ARREST PEOPLE FOR SHOPLIFTING, or how they "got screwed" when they were caught in possession of X illegal weapon\drug\anything. I have not witnessed any of these personally, but my Aunt is a cop in Oak Park and ever time I talk to her it never fails, she has another story of somebody acting ignorant and treating their arrest as if the cop was wronging them.

I do not really have anything important to say about law schools. I have started brainstorming personal statement ideas. Currently, I think I will just write about why I want to go to law school and how I do not know exactly what I want to do but all the things that interest me I would be more likely to succeed in if I had a law degree. This is all true. This does not mean I no longer want to be a trial lawyer because I still do, however I am also starting to gain an interest in public policy\think tank type work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home