Monday, August 21, 2006

An equality rant that has nothing to do with affirmative action

Ok, so before I start with a rant from this afternoons activities, I would like to qualify it: this has nothing to do with AA. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I mean I am ranting about something I saw happen here on campus, nothing more.

So something drove me crazy today: people that play both sides of the fence. This surfaces every year during welcome week and bothers me every year. Here is the thing that I can't stand: if you want to be a part of something, and you want everything to be equal, then act like it. Don't say "we want to be treated like you" most of the time, then turn around fifteen minutes later and go "oh, but you have agreed to conceed something here in return for benefits and I don't want to conceed that, so I wont, but I still want the benefits." Get over it. You are either in or out, there is no middle.

On the flip side, groups that celebrate their "elite" or "unique" status, shouldn't then pretend to be "one of the rest" in order to enjoy those benefits. This is stupid. Be what you want, but don't have your hand out if the others can't.

Sorry for that having nothing to do with law school. On a more law related note, tomorrow is my first full day of work for the semester. More importantly, Wednesday starts classes and I begin meeting with professors to fine tune my application package.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home