Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fratty

Today I want to digress from my normal "this is how applications are going" and "this is where I am in my editing" or "the process is good/bad because of X" and instead talk about something that bothers me.

Fraternity is a noun. Frat is slang that bothers some people, but would still be a noun. These are the ONLY two forms of the word that are acceptable and should be used in every day language. Some things that are not possible:

You cannot "get your frat on." This isn't possible. It isn't a verb. You might say "I'm going to get my groove on" but you wouldn't say "I'm going to get my car on." Deal with it.

"Fratty" though useful is not a term to describe a way people dress. They are called tools, d-bags, metros, femine hygene products, or anything similar. Wearing a popped collar, wanting to make out with yourself and taking longer to get dressed than your girlfriend does not make you "Fratty" it makes you annoying. Don't attach this negative notion to all of us.

"Frat it up" is also not acceptable. Frat is not a substitute for the word party. If you want to "close brotherhood bound by a ritual that contains values" it up, feel free to use "Frat it up" but that isn't what people say, so don't use the term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home