Thursday, February 02, 2006

Suprise

So Alito shocked everybody by breaking from the conservative block on his first vote ever as a member of the Supreme Court.

Sutter anybody?

So why do I bring this up? Simple. About two hours ago I finished an argument in which somebody was telling me that the seperation of powers is a joke because the judicial branch is just a function of who controls the white house and who is in the senate and that as long as the approval process was political, we could never get a good, representative justice. My response to this was that 1. this is a central element of our constitution and 2. Judges don't always vote just along political lines. He then said, Bush's justices would, to which I said "well Alito just proved your statement false, try again?

The conversation ended shortly after with him fairly unhappy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home