Sunday, June 18, 2006

Campy Goodbye

Well this week should be interesting. I am signed up to be a peer mentor (basically a student facilitator for Bradley's summer enrichment program this week. The program is about leadership and the week looks like it could be fairly interesting. Today starts training and I finally find out what we will be doing!

I have two fears with this camp. First, I don't know how the students will react to the peer mentors in general. I have some experience with summer camps put on by colleges but in each of those cases the gap in knowledge between the campers and the mentors was so large that it was never an issue of how much do they really have to offer. In this case, I feel as if some of the mentors may have very little additional experience when compared to a very active high school student leader. It all goes back to the Bradley philosophy, Community Service = Leadership. Anyway, I think once I meet the staff I will be more impressed but as of now this is a worry.
Second, I am afraid of the "fun factor." Every camp I have ever gone to has been fun. Then again, every camp I have ever gone to was about something people do for recreation or an activity people love to do. Leadership isn't really a topic like that. Nobody wakes up and plays a rousing game of "leadership" or is on the "leadership team." I don't think this means that camp isn't a good idea, leadership is one of the traits that is most important in life, business, college, etc. but sometimes learning/studying leadership gets a little dry. I hope we can make it fun for these campers!!

On a law school note, since that is the primary focus of his blog, I am almost hoping that something really interesting happens at camp and I get a personal statement idea! Once again, all personal statement ideas are welcome. Also, if anybody can help me figure out how to use a "personal statement guide" book, please let me know. I have read two and gotten NOTHING out of them that I could not get from LSD or a similar source.

Days remaining till LSAT score: 12
Mood: meh

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger serenity said...

I hope you did well on your LSAT. I didn't study enough so I put mine off to Sept 30th. Good luck w/ your applications.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home