Saturday, June 17, 2006

Same Game, New Rules

So as I mentioned in my last post, the ABA decided to change its reporting so that schools now only need to report the highest LSAT score earned by a given applicant.

As I mentioned in a post before this decision was made, I think this is a necessity in a day and age where people with internet access, no lives, a strong memory, and knowledge of messege boards can essentially figure out within a reasonable range how they scored on a test (or at least, how many they had wrong, with the scale being the X factor).

Despite the fact that I think this is a good change in the long run, I am not in favor of it now. Why? Because I am applying now, not in the long run.

First, I am not confident in my score and this essentially forces me to retake to try and score higher. With people being able to retake there will be more high scores floating around making whatever I get less valuable. As a result I feel as if I almost need to retake to attempt to position myself to accomplish my admission goals. Second, I like knowing what rules I am playing by. I know ish what my chances are at schools based on recent admission cycles, however now it seems everybody's numbers will jump a little bit, meaning more stress and uncertainty for me, things I do not like.

Finally, this may actually hurt my score. Cancelations tend to occur among people that know what they are doing and that have a good feel for the exam. A person for example that is shooting for a 170 but makes a 167. Why does this suck? More people keeping 167's will mean a higher standard and thus whatever I earned (less than that) will be lower.

Additionally, this makes the September test THE TEST, because prep for september is like a two for one, you get two tests in two months as opposed to two tests in 4 months if you take in June for the first time.

Overall this throws off a lot of things and I wished the ABA would have waited until after my admission cycle, even though I know this is a good thing in the long run.

Days remaining till score is released: 14 (hopefully)
Mood: sulking

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home