Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Final Camp Debrief and an ironic twist on life

So I just wanted to post a few quick notes about the leadership camp. Now that I have had a few days to reflect, I can honestly say that this was a very positive experience. I learned some things and got to function in a role I do not normally act in. Additionally, I met some awsome high school students and a couple awsome Bradley students (a few of whom I hope to continue to socialize with).

The big value of this camp to me is that I am used to the role of a leader as setting direction, leading change, managing organizations. I am not used to the leader as motivating a small group and dealing with personal problems, but I was able to step into this role this week. If anything this will help me more in the study of law because often clients are coming in with either 1. A goal or 2. A problem to resolve and are looking to you for help. This is essentially what my role was at camp: take materials and help students get where they want to go or resolve problems/misunderstandings so that students can get the most out of camp.

In an ironic on my future plans, I had a discussion today with a friend going to grad school in student affairs. He was trying to convince me that student affairs, not law school, is what I should dedicate my future study towards. I have typically used three arguments again why I don't want to be involved in student affairs and he made an interesting argument for how each of them is the same in the study of law.

Argument 1: Student affairs is a cult, I don't want everybody across the nation knowing me and the job I do and refering to me as "Chris the X at Y university." He pointed out that this is what a bar association is that that you will always be "Chris the X associate and Y firm." He also reminded me that I love greek life and we routinely are refered to as "chris from x chapter."

Argument 2: I want to have a broader impact than just college students. Here his argument was easy: if you dont do public interest you really aren't having a broad impact. He pointed out that no matter how much I say I want to get involved in public policy, when the time comes I may take a firm job and have a very narrow scope. He also reminded me that if you mold students that mold the world, you are molding the world.

Argument 3: $$. Here he pointed out that he is going to school for free and I will almost certainly be in a huge amount of debt and that by the time I pay my debt off there is a very good chance he may have been promoted a few times and earning at least as much as me. Interesting argument.

I still want to study law. At the end of the day, I like the career path of a lawyer and if I wanted to be in college administration is would be in a capacity that a law degree would help me secure a job. I am confident in my decision to go to law school and feel I have an opportunity to succeed. The only question left is where I will go and if I will have an opportunity to attend a school that I am really excited about, which brings us to:

Days remaining until the LSAT is released: 3
Mood: Tired

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home