Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Dog Days of Summer

The way I see it there are 5 distinct phases to applying to law school:
1. Researching schools and laying out a list of possibilities that correspond to various LSAT scores that are withing your liklyhood.

2. Studying for and taking the LSAT as well as getting your score.

3. Preparing the various essays that are needed to apply for law school, selecting letter of recommendation writers, and putting together Letter of Recommendation writer packets.

4. Getting letters of recommendations written and submitted within the desired time frame.

5. Completing and sending out applications.

A furter look at this simplifies the process. Schools can be researched and selected as far in advance as one has a reasonable grasp of possible LSAT scores. For me, this was done LAST summer and finalized last winter (of course my LSAT score changed this but it was an easy/quick change because I had already done enough research to know my general opinions about schools).

Having others write letters isn't really a great stress on me, other than patrolling them, and if the essays go well and I do a good enough job of addressing all topics then putting together applications should be a matter of clicking the browse and then attach buttons.

That means that I have hit the last major stretch before the final push to apply. In other words, I am entering the middle and important part of my application process that will determine the success of my application overall. To burrow a baseball term, I have entered the dog days of applying to law school.

Over July I will have to:
1. Finalize who I will ask to write letters, for directed letters this includes where they will be writing letters to.
2. Put together packets for them
3. Inform/ask them to write the letters.
4. Write three general personal statements (something about me, diversity, and why law school) along with a variety of why X essays or at least why X segments.

Complicating this is that my application packet is BEGGING for an additional academic letter of recommendation and I don't know who to ask. More on selecting letters later this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home