Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Drop

Well today I took another practice LSAT and as I feared, my recent success have been a HUGE fluke. Today I fell back to earth with a 168 on the scale from that year (October 2001, Preptest 35). I felt really good taking the test but apparently made an unwarrented assumption at one point and that cost me four questions on logic games, combined with some random misses set my score tumbling. The one bright spot: 25/26 on the first logic reasoning section.

Today I decided to lighten up the mood a little bit. In honor of a great post I read today on another blog, I have decided to compile a list of jobs that it is not acceptable to say are what you plan to do when you get older. These are not jobs that it is not ok to dream about, these are jobs that are an unacceptable answer to the question: "What do you want to do when you get out of school." These are all unacceptable for one reason: it is so unlikely that you will get them it is almost like saying "i just want to win the lottery" or "i want to fall backward into money."

Here are the 10 jobs it is not acceptable to say you want to have after college:
1. President of the United States.

2. Sports agent (unless you have a lot of family in the pros and tons of connections dont claim this one.)

3. Senator, Governor, National Representative, or mayor of a large city.

4. Professional athlete

5. Professional gambler

6. Sports broadcaster for a top league (MLB, NHL, NBA, or NFL).

7. CEO of a fortune 500 company

8. Federal Judge

9. Founder of a multi-million dollar law firm

10. World famous singer, actress, etc.

Now the logic behind this list is simple: these are jobs that are in short supply and that lots of people want. Moreover, many of these jobs are jobs that you cant get without lots of luck and other people's help. I am not saying it is impossible to get these jobs, clearly Scott Boras succeeded, we have presidents, and middle age looking men win contests to become famous singers, however on the whole the odds are EXTREMELY small. Please do not counter with "i know somebody that did X" or "I can do whatever I want if I put my mind to it." No matter how hard I try, I will not be a professional basketball player. Period. These are all technically "atainable" but they are so far off and so unlikly that they are not an acceptable answer to what do you want to do after school. Get over it.

Days Remaining: 12
Mood: Confident and excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home